What is the best mic for discord?
Back when video games first came out, the whole system was pretty primitive. Take the classic game ‘Pong,’ for example. One unit, two joysticks, and if you weren’t throwing some elbows into your opponent to throw them off your game, you were clearly not playing by Family Rules.
In fact, there was a time and place when you had to actually share a single controller and pass it around to the other players in the room.
So way back then, if you wanted to talk to other players, you simply turned to them and spoke. (Or shouted, depending on how well the game was going.)
But this is a new millennium, and you no longer have to share your controller. In fact, you don’t even have to share a hemisphere with your fellow players. The Internet is here, and allows players of all experience levels to play games together.
Naturally, this requires some equipment. For example, you’re going to need an app to connect you, and a mic so that you can hear each other.
Let’s dive in.
The HyperX Quadcast definitely takes the cake for the number-one best mic for Discord on our radar, for numerous reasons. This adjustable mic has four selectable polar patterns… and has been showing up everywhere lately.
In This Article
- Top Pick: HyperX Quadcast
- Best Budget: Fifine Metal Condenser
- Best Discord Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
- Best Budget Headset: AmazonBasics Gaming Headset
What Is Discord?
Chances are good that if you’re reading this, you are either just starting to get into Discord, actively involved with multiple conversations already, or have a friend or family member who is super into gaming, and asked for a gaming mic for a gift. So let’s take a look at what Discord is, first.
(If you’re already running multiple chats, you can skip ahead while we talk to the newbies.)
This free app allows gamers ages 13 and up to text, video chat, and voice chat together. The cool thing about Discord is that you have the ability to pick and choose which conversations you want to join, and who can join in your chats.
You can even block people, and set up security details for your server. Chats can host up to ten gaming buddies, so it’s important to have the best audio quality on your mic, so your friends all around the world can understand you clearly.
Which Gaming Microphone Should I Choose?
There are plenty of things to keep in mind when choosing your gaming microphone. First, you want the best possible audio quality. Mics are available seemingly everywhere, but obviously, not all microphones are created equally. We’ll take a look at a variety of microphones, and detail the various features and qualities.
Next, you want to look at your budget. Not all of us have zillions of dollars to drop for a mic exclusively for gaming, so if you have plenty of reasons for using microphones, all the better justification for a higher quality microphone.
For example, some mics are also great for podcasting, Skype, and more. That’s an easy sell for any parents or significant other who might be ‘wary’ at dropping serious bones on gaming microphones.
Lastly, you want to make sure you have a mic you know how to use. Pro gamers use some serious mics, but they also have access to sponsors and equipment managers who can help them figure out all the ins and outs. A lot of gamers don’t have that level of support, so consider the fact that you’re going to be doing all the setup and a lot of the troubleshooting going forward.
Audio Settings In Discord
Unlike many gaming apps, Discord has audio controls within the app itself, which will be helpful when putting together your new mic setup. Just head to User Settings, then Voice & Video to check out the input and output sliders. This will become important once you buy your new mic, so keep this in mind for future reference.
The “Let’s Check” feature is a mic test feature. When you’re testing your new mic, you’ll want to click on this and speak. Whatever you say will be repeated back to you so you can adjust the input volume as needed.
Top 11 Mics For Discord
Top Pick: HyperX Quadcast
The HyperX Quadcast microphone is a serious sound beast. Literally. It was actually designed with an anti-vibration elastic rope suspension that prevents muffles and bumps from unintentional movement on your end. Now you can share in the action of the game without treating your Discord friends to all the noise you’re making in your excitement.
The HyperX also includes a really convenient mute mechanism- you just tap the mic to mute it. An LED indicator helps you figure out mic status as well- if the light is on, so is the sound. If the light is off, you can speak freely… to yourself. The gain control is located on the bottom of the mic unit, allowing you to tap for mute and spin for mic sensitivity in one fluid motion.
Additionally, a knob on the body of the HyperX allows you to switch between the various broadcasting options, including stereo, cardioid, omnidirectional, and bidirectional, giving you the control to create the best sound scenario for vocals, instruments, podcasts, conference calls, streaming, voiceovers, and interviews.
HyperX Quadcast Key Features:
- Frequency response of 20Hz – 20kHz
- Built in pop filter
- Compatible with PC Windows 7 and newer, PlayStation4, Mac, Skype, Mumble, Open Broadcaster Software, and XSplit
- Certified by both Discord and TeamSpeak
Best Budget: Fifine Metal Condenser
Best of the Budget Class… this award goes to the Fifine Metal Condenser Recording Microphone, which delivers a pretty serious amount of microphone for a relatively low price. This mic retails for less than a tank of gas, which is helpful for those of us on tight budgets. The sound quality is high, but the set-up and installation process is relatively simple.
Fifine Metal Condenser Key Features:
- Plug-and-Play style offers simple installation
- 5.9 foot cable plugs directly into USB port
- Compatible with PC or Mac. Not compatible for phones or Xbox
- Metal construction with solid tripod stand means lower chance of accidents during enthusiastic game play
- Cardioid polar pattern condenser microphone specifically created for gaming, live streaming, voice recognition, Skype
- Reduces background noise for clearer output quality
- Additional volume knob allows for higher output
Best Discord Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
If you’re looking for a step up from an intro headset, consider the SteelSeries Arctis 7.
The Arctis 7 will cost upwards of a Benjamin, but this wireless headset offers a lot for gamers and Discord users. The ClearCast microphone is not only certified by Discord, but largely considered one of the best mics in the gaming world today, with its incredible clarity and noise-cancelling capabilities.
SteelSeries Arctis 7 Key Features:
- 24 hours of battery life for long campaigns
- Compatible only with PC, Mac, and Playstation via USB cord
- Compatible with Switch and XBox One via 35mm converter
- On-ear controls allow you to adjust between chat and game volume, input volume, and mute
- Design inspired by athletic gear, with AirWeave earpieces and ski goggle suspension headband
- 2.4 G audio connection means no lag, no interference, no loss
- Includes audio customization options and pre-loaded with Discord, Spotify, and more
- Wireless means you’re not tied to a keyboard, console, or even a room- share from anywhere
Best Budget Headset: AmazonBasics Gaming Headset
Again, we understand that everyone starts somewhere, and if you’re reading this in anticipation of buying a gift, you might want to be wary of spending a lot on something your intended recipient might not fully enjoy. No problem.
Check out the AmazonBasics Gaming Headset. It’s not going to break the bank, but it offers all the best features that you need for Discord and other gaming applications. This headset can be used with any device that includes a 3.5mm jack, including your PC, gaming consoles like Xbox and PS4, and more. It also includes a flexible microphone with volume and mute controls on the cord, for adjustments right next to the keyboard or controller.
AmazonBasics Gaming Headset Key Features:
- Soft, breathable earpieces
- Noise cancelling
- Excellent sound quality for the price
Other Mic Options For Discord To Consider
Even though the top 4 listed above were the first choices, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other options to consider as well.
Here are some other awesome options to consider if you haven’t quite found the perfect option yet.
Alternate Top Picks
- USB connectivity
- Cardioid condenser polar pattern
- Ships with a pop-shield and desktop stand
- Built-in 3.5mm headphone jack
- Zero latency monitoring
- Small sized and portable
- Includes shock-resistant technology
- Super-precise pickup pattern
Alternate Budget Options
- Low to zero background noise
- Super simple to use and easy to set up
- Use for work calls, gaming, streaming, and Discord
- Super comfortable, with plenty of cord length to facilitate ease of use
Currently running $29.98 on Amazon, this microphone is meant to plug into your headphone set, so you must have a pair of V-MODA over-ear or on-ear headphones. This mic is also compatible with other headphone brands, as long as they have a detachable 3.5mm cable (think Beats, Philips, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica, Skullcandy, etc).
- Sturdy construction, built with a reinforced cable and a heavy-duty boom arm
- Compatibility requires 3.5mm (1/8″) plug
- Also requires headphones with a 3.5mm (1/8″) cable input if you wish to use it with headphones
- Can be used with smartphones, tablets, PCs, notebooks and gaming consoles
- Controls on clip include in-line mute and rotary volume
This straightforward mic is currently just over $7 on Amazon, and works by clipping the mic body close to the mouth, and plugging into the mic jack of your device. The Zalman may seem pretty simple for a gaming microphone, but it gets the job done.
- Extremely compact- you can keep it in your pocket
- Highly sensitive microphone
- Connects very simply through mic jack, or USB style audio/headphone converter
- Completely hands free, allowing you to access controller or keyboard
Options from Blue Microphones
Blue is a manufacturer that makes microphones that are designed exclusively for superior audio quality via PC or Mac.
As such, they are among some of the very best options out there for gaming, Skyping, FaceTime, podcasting, live streaming, adding audio recordings to YouTube and personal videos. The audio quality on Blue microphones is highly praised across the product line.
This plug-and-play style condenser mic is actually certified by both Skype and Discord as a recommended USB microphone for their apps. No drivers to install- simply plug in the Snowball iCE and set it on your desk.
- Frequency response of 40 –18 kHz
- Adjustable metal tripod stand takes up little to no room in your setup
- Cool retro look
This desktop usb mic has a flat base stand, with an adjustable boom style arm. While it’s perfect for Discord and other gaming uses, the Blue Yeti mic is highly capable for a serious variety of uses, with high sound quality.
For example, the Blue Yeti Nano can be used for podcasting, live streaming, video narration, Skype, and even recording music. Unlike the Blue Snowball, the Yeti Nano has a handful of buttons and knobs that make it stand out from other, simpler USB mics. The base of the mic includes a USB output, headphone output, and a thread mount, if desired.
Additionally, the mute button and headphone volume controls are on the front of the mic, with a pickup pattern button on the back.
- Cardioid (recording and streaming) and Omni (perfect for conference calls) pick up patterns
- Professional broadcast-level sound means it’s not just for Discord
- Zero latency monitoring with real time headphone output
- Threading allows you to connect to longer boom arm for serious hands free action
- 2 14mm capsules with a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz
When it comes to choosing a microphone for Discord and other gaming needs, the list can seem pretty exhaustive. There are a lot of features to consider, but these are our top picks for microphones that offer professional level sound without requiring you to drag your games into a sound booth.
From budget buys to get you started, to high-quality set ups that will give you impeccable sound quality over a variety of applications and recording/broadcasting/streaming needs, these microphones represent some of the best on the market today. Now don’t forget to do your soundcheck after you get everything set up, and tell all of your chat buddies on Discord we said “hey!”