Quick-Access To The Best USB Mics for Rap Vocals 👇
|Our Top Picks||Brand|
|Top Pick||🏆 HyperX QuadCast|
|Runner Up||🥇 Apogee Hype Mic|
|Best Budget||🥈 Fifine Metal Condenser Recording Microphone|
|Best Handheld||Shure SM58-X2U Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone|
|Best USB/XLR Mic||Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB USB/XLR Microphone|
So… you’ve finally decided to pursue a career in rapping!
But here’s the question. Is your setup ready for it?
It’s no secret that beats, bass, and vocals are the 3 keys to dynamic rap music… and in order to create catchy songs that could land you some serious views and plays, you’re going to need the best USB mic for rap vocals on the market.
USB mics offer a lot of advantages for the rapper who is still recording in their own home studio.
(Not looking for USB? Check out our list of 18 best recording microphones!)
Why? Because they’re easy to hook up to a computer and get to work with. They’re simple to use, they’re efficient, and they sound great.
But not every USB mic is equal. Some are really, really nice and offer dynamic, full tones… while others are completely lackluster.
And this is exactly why we put together this review of our 19 favorite USB mics for rap vocals… from home-studio quality, to professional grade!
Let’s dive deep, and find the perfect USB mic that will help you to take your rap game to an entire new level!
We fell in love with the HyperX from the first moment we saw it. From its bold design, to its dynamic audio abilities, this mic brings something ‘edgy’ to the game… and we can’t get enough of it.
In This Article –
The Top 6 Best USB Mics For Rap Vocals
- Top Pick: HyperX QuadCast – USB Condenser
- Runner-Up: Apogee Hype Mic
- Best Budget Pick: Fifine Plug ‘n Play
- Best Handheld: Shure SM58-X2U
- Best USB/XLR Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB
- Best for iOS and PC Users: Shure MV5
The Top 6 Best USB Mics For Rap Vocals
Our Top Pick:
Podcasters, gamers, streamers… and yes, rappers as well… in search of a quality USB mic will love what the HyperX QuadCast has to offer. This condenser mic boasts impressive audio quality with all the functionality and convenience of a USB mic. It comes with an anti-vibration mount built right into it, and a pop filter that minimizes unnecessary sounds such as popping noises and muffles. The result? A voice quality that is crystal clear, clean, and polished.
We also like that it features an LED indicator, a useful feature that lets you keep track of your mic status. Want a smooth fade-out, or to mute yourself on the fly? That’s what the tap-to-mute sensor is for.
There are 4 polar patterns to this bad-boy that allow you to meet your streaming needs, such as Stereo, Cardioid, Omnidirectional, and Bidirectional. Adjusting the mic sensitivity is done with just a turn of the control knob. Compatible with the Mac, PS4, or PC, you can expect a quality sound output from the HyperX QuadCast no matter what device you are on.
HyperX QuadCast Key Features:
- Wireless Built-in pop filter and anti-vibration mount
- Plug-and-play design
- LED indicator to check the mic status
- 4 polar patterns
Our Runner Up
Want to make your vocals distinct even with a heavy background track? That’s one of the many wonders that the Apogee Hype Mic can cook up for you. Its analog compression makes your vocals stand out and float, so it’s not submerged in a sea of other sounds in your tracks. Whatever you record with this mic – instruments, voice-overs, percussion – they all sound pristine and clean with just a single, flawless take.
This little genius takes your acoustic or percussion instrument demos to the next level, making it sound warm, rich, and smooth all at the same time. The varying compression levels capture your instrument’s fullest tone for immense detail and clarity even when you’re recording the most obnoxious-sounding horns!
Another thing we like about this USB mic is its compatibility with a wide range of apps. Take your pick from your preferred iOS or Mac/C app, and you can count on the Apogee Hype Mic to make magic for you. It’s definitely a pro-studio on the go.
Apogee Hype Mic Key Features:
- Analog compressor
- Premium quality accessories included
- Cardioid condenser mic capsule
- Professional compression settings
Best Budget Pick
Good sound quality does not always come in big – and expensive – packages. That is what the Fifine Plug ‘n’ Play USB mic brings to the table. It is portable, convenient to set up and use, and packs a punch to your recording outputs. Installation is quick and easy on your PC or Mac.
On the outside, it is as sleek and as stylish as it comes. Made of commercial-grade metal, it is one good-looking USB mic. It also includes a metal stand that comes in handy during those YouTube livestream sessions or voice-overs.
As for the audio quality, this guy has some bragging rights. This Cardioid polar pattern USB condenser mic captures your vocals perfectly, and produces smooth, clear, crisp sound with virtually zero static noise. Just plug and play, as its name states, and this baby is good to go. What’s not to love about the Fifine Plug ‘n’ Play USB mic?
Fifine Plug ‘n’ Play USB Mic Key Features
- Easy to setup with its plug and play design
- Crisp and clear recording quality
- Compatible with all iPhones
- Great for gaming, calls, podcasting
- Durable and professional-looking
Belt out your vocal stylings or show off your musical instrument-playing skills… The Shure SM58-X2U USB mic will make the output sound like a pro. With a spherical filter built right into it, this mic reduces “pop” or wind. There is also a Cardioid pickup pattern that isolates the primary source of sound, and blocks background noise… so the sound comes out clear and crisp.
This is a rugged USB mount that you can take with you can even take with you to events outdoors. With its durable mesh grille made of steel, and a shock-absorbing mount system, it can take rough handling. The legendary toughness of a ‘Shure’ mic, when combined with its good looks – die-cast metal and enamel-painted case – cause this mic to exude an undeniably ‘professional feel.’
Performance meets aesthetics for the Shure SM58-X2U USB mic. It’s a reliable little mic that you can easily grab and use for your recording when you are on the go.
Shure SM58-X2U Key Features:
- Reduced background noise
- Crystal clear sound output
- Rugged and durable exterior
- Includes a sturdy stand adapter
Best USB/XLR Mic
Audio-Technica is no stranger in the audio equipment scene – and the Audio-Technica ATR2100 definitely leads the pack in the USB/XLR mic space. There are two outputs that allow you to customize the quality of sound. The USB output is perfect for your digital recording, while the XLR enhances your live performance. Switch from one output to another, depending on what suits your needs best.
Another thing that we like about this USB/XLR mic is the analog-to-digital converter… which ensures outstanding fidelity. It also has a Cardioid polar pattern that minimizes unwanted background sounds coming from both the rear and the sides.
Whether you need a microphone that you can use for field recording, voiceover work, home studio digital recording, live performances, or podcasting, you can never go wrong with the Audio-Technica ATR2100. Oh, and did we mention it looks good, too?
Audio-Technica ATR2100 Key Features:
- Cardioid polar pattern
- Dynamic and portable handheld mic
- Versatile mic for a variety of uses
- High fidelity and pristine audio quality
Best for iOS and PC Users
Portable and user-friendly, you’ll never fumble around trying to get the Shure MV5 to work, check availability on Sweetwater here.
It is quite straightforward, with a plug-and-play design to simplify things for every user. This digital condenser mic is compatible with various sound sources… whether it is your Android or iOS device.
Do you need a mic to use for podcasting? Or perhaps for your video chats? This mic does it all… And more. It boasts of an on-board headphone output, allowing you to monitor the output in real time. There are also 2 DSP presets included, so you can control the settings depending on where the sound is coming from – flat, instrument, or vocals.
Built to last for years, this mic is durable and good-looking. It is reminiscent of a retro mic with an industrial design, so it stands out (in a good way) in your home studio setup. What’s not to love about the Shure MV5?
Shure MV5 Key Features
- Real time monitoring
- Stand and thread mount included
- 3 DSP preset controls
- Compression, EQ, and gain applied automatically
There are many different types of microphones out there, with multiple specs and functions.
(Check out our list of the 9 best vocal mics for more awesome USB and non-USB options!)
But the question is, who should buy a USB mic?
If what you are after is portability, a USB mic is a no-brainer. There’s nothing that can get more portable, more travel-friendly, and more compact than this. It is also perfect for beginners who need a user-friendly mic that they can just plug-in-and-play, that will run well without a ton of fine-tuning to achieve great results.
Traveling musicians, field reporters, freelancers who do voice overs, podcasters, and YouTubers can also benefit from a USB mic because of its rugged quality, clarity of sound, and the capability to minimize unnecessary background noises while they’re out and about to record.
And the price-point? Yep, it’s usually easy on the budget without compromising quality.
And finally, where rappers are concerned… USB mics are awesome for home-studio rapping because they give you the opportunity to plug right into your DAW to record raps along with your beats. And they don’t even need an extra interface to make the system work!
So you think you’re ready to start shopping for the best USB mic for rap vocals?
Hold on one sec before you pick up that shiny new thing on the shelf. There are several models of USB microphones in the market, and the last thing you want to do is bring home a lemon.
Here are some key features to look into when looking to buy a USB mic for rap vocals and other purposes.
- Frequency Response You need to make sure your USB mic picks up and synthesizes every bit of the nuances in your voice. We recommend choosing a mic with a frequency response that ranges from 80 hertz to as much as 15 kilohertz. Shoot for something lower, and it will be challenging for the mic to preserve your vocal quality.Polar PatternNot to sound techy or nerdy but… You have to understand a little bit about polar pattern to choose the best mic for you. This is the field of sensitivity of a microphone, and it affects the sound quality quite a bit. If you need a mic for rap vocals, a Cardioid pattern is the right choice for you because it muffles background sound and only pick up the audio coming in front of the mic (your voice).
- Dynamic or Condenser?A condenser mic requires massive power, and converts sound waves for onward transmission through a capacitor. This is why it can be tedious to use a condenser mic, because they rely on a secondary power source. But… condenser mics often result in the highest-quality sound reproduction as well. A dynamic mic, on the other hand, utilizes an induction coil and a magnet to perform the exact same task. A dynamic USB mic sometimes works better because it has an on-board preamp that makes it convenient to use. The sound quality is a little lower than a condenser, but it should be fine for live performances and decent studio recordings without breaking the bank.
What is the best USB mic for rapping?
This is a tough question considering dozens of options out there. But you only need to zero in to the important features that make a USB mic the best for rapping. We recommend that you get one with a Cardioid pattern that reduces background sounds and focuses on the primary sound source, which is your voice. A portable, plug-and-play design, and rugged exterior that makes it stress-free to bring on the road is also a good choice. After all, you don’t want to limit yourself to just studio recordings, right? The HyperX QuadCast ticks all the boxes when it comes to convenience, portability, performance, and durability.
What Microphone do professional rappers use?
Professional rappers use a wide range of different types of mics, depending on exactly what they’re doing. For studio recording, a condenser mic works really well because of the wide range of transient response and range. The output is also noticeably clearer. As for dynamic microphones, these are far more durable and rugged. You can take it with you during live performances, on-the-road recordings, and yes, they are also good for use indoors. Maybe not as great as a condenser mic, but with all the other things factored in, including a cheaper price, a dynamic mic does not sound too bad at all. And if you want the best of the best, the HyperX QuadCast is an excellent choice for you.
Is a USB microphone good for recording vocals?
Definitely yes. Just be sure to get a Cardioid pattern USB mic that really captures your vocals and forgets the rest (background noises). This type of mic is also outstanding for various applications, plus it is easy to use with its plug-and-play design that appeals to beginners and pros who hate complexities. For us, the HyperX QuadCast is hands down the best mic in the vast range of USB mics, because it simply does not disappoint when it comes to the clarity of sound and ease of use.
USB mics for rap vocals come in different shapes, sizes, and specs. So in case one of our top 6 does not suffice, we figured giving you several more items to choose from to help you weigh your options would be helpful!
- Volume control on-board the headphone jack
- Superior quality A/D converter
- Tripod stand included for desk use
- Condenser mic
- Excellent and convenient studio USB mic
- Headphone jack offers no-delay monitoring
- Cardioid condenser mic
- Ring mount, storage pouch, tripod desk stand, and pop shield included
- Plug-and-play design
- Multiple functions
- Headphone output, mute button, gain control
- 4 pattern selections
- Condenser mic that delivers crystal clear audio
- Frequency response ranging from 20 to 18 kHz
- Directional cardioid pattern
- Custom shock mount, USB cable, carry case, and on-board interface included
For your analog and digital audio recording, the Samson Q2U can handle both. It features a cardioid unidirectional pattern, an A/D converter, and a frequency response from 50 Hz to 15,000 Hz to ensure superior audio quality for your in-studio or live recording.
- USB/XLR dynamic mic
- Dual-color LED for the power
- Plug-and-play design
- Compatible with the PC, iPad or Mac
- Built-in headphone jack
- Side address USB condenser mic
- Great for studio or on-the-go recording
- Convenient placement of controls on the mic
- Cardioid polar pattern
- Frequency response of 30 Hz to 16 kHz
- Budget-friendly USB mic
- Suitable for numerous applications
- Convenient and easy to use
- Adjustable gainlevel
- Complete set
- Decent frequency response range
- Clear audio quality
- For podcasting, video chatting, vocal recording
- Compatibility with the PC or Mac
The Thronmax Mdrill Zero usb mic is a professional quality mic at a price that is easy on the pocket. It is great for doing voice-overs, podcasting, interviews, musical instruments, vocals, and conference calls. This all-around condenser mic simply does not disappoint.
- Zero-delay headphone output
- Mute and gain control settings
- Plug-and-play – convenient to use
- Good for in-studio or outdoor recording
This is a dual-mode USB mic with an on-board sound card and works well with Android devices, Mac, Windows, PA speaker, and others.
- Plug-and-play design
- Frequency automatic pairing
- Handheld battery-operated mic
- Cable-free and driver-free
- Compatible with Mac, Linux, Vista, and Windows
- Unidirectional pattern
- Includes a triple-legged desktop stand
- Dual layer filter
- Windows and Mac compatible
- Rotatable and flexible mini head included
- No software needed to get started
It is always a tricky experience trying to pick up the best USB mic for rap vocals. But once you are armed with information on what to look for, it does not have to be a tedious affair.
You need to have a good grasp of the features and specs you need, then you can comb through the different options you have that offer all of these. And most of all, you can get a good USB mic without stretching your budget.
Combined with functionality, superb performance and all at a competitive price, the HyperX QuadCast does it for us. With a solid build, clear audio, and a price range under $150, there is definitely no competition here.